Monday, May 14, 2007

From The Pulpit

In this series I intend to post speeches, or snippets of speeches that I’ve found that were never intended to be sermons but nevertheless, turned out that way.

First, a little bit of background about our speaker…

Clinton Richard Dawkins, ethologist, evolutionary biologist, writer and holder of the Charles Simonyi Chair for the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University.

He was born on March 26, 1941 in Nairobi, Kenya and moved to England with his parents at age 8.

Education, Positions and Degrees
1954-1959 Oundle School
1959-1962 Balliol College, University of Oxford
1962-1966 Research Student, Oxford University (D.Phil., 1966)
1965-1967 Research Assistant to Professor N.Tinbergen FRS
1967-1969 Assistant Professor of Zoology, University of California, Berkeley
1969-1970 Senior Research Officer, Department of Zoology, Oxford
1970-1990 University Lecturer in Zoology, and Fellow of New College, Oxford
1989 D.Sc. (Oxford)
1990-1995 Ad hominem Reader in Zoology, University of Oxford
1995- Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science,
University of Oxford, and Professorial Fellow of New College

This speech was given at TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) and was titled “The Design Of Life”. I’m not sure what they were expecting, but what they got was a brilliant sermon on the virtues of atheism. In it, he explains why it is he’s so adamant about his disbelief, among other things.

It’s a 30 minute clip but is well worth the watch, so you’ll need a bit of time. Download it as an MP4 here and view it at your leisure, or grab a cuppa, hit play and enjoy…



6 Comments:

Dikkii said...

I really must get broadband one of these days.

Plonka said...

I swear I just put a comment here... Oh well...

Sorry Dikkii. I should probably have added the caveat that band-width might be an issue...:(

That said though, I think you'll find it worthwhile to set up as an over nighter...

Yulacu said...

Thanks Plonka. That was a great video. While I agree with Dawkins when he states that we should "stop being so damned respectful," I think there are varying levels of disrespect. I have troubles taking on the same level of disrespect Dawkins does, but I believe there is room for several different methods of dialogue. In the end, I think we need people saying the things that Dawkins and Harris say, I just don't feel as though we all need to exercise the exact same method.

Plonka said...

the alpha: No worries. He is good...:)

Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes it almost sounds like an insult. As you say though, someone needs to do it, but not everyone...

beepbeepitsme said...

Yeah. Dawkins at his persuasive best.

Plonka said...

Beep: He is good, isn't he..:)

I just scored a copy of "The Ancestors Tale" which I'm enjoying immensely.

© Blogger Templates | Tech Blog