Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Christian Ethic

Christians are as christians do. Has that not always been the case? Allow me to draw your attention to the following headline:

"Archbishop in abortion law threat"

On the face of it, you could well be forgiven for thinking that the catholic church might have an issue with abortion. You'd be right too, but I don't really know why that is. I can't even find the word mentioned in the bible, and I've looked long and hard.

Caring for the sick and suffering on the other hand, rates quite a bit of mention in the bible, but there seems to be an issue here on earth. Some new laws may not fit with some religious ideals, or so it seems...

CATHOLIC hospitals might close their maternity and emergency departments if a proposed new abortion law is passed in Victoria next month, Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart has warned.

As much as I dislike religion, I have to admit that in the city I live in, there are some extremely good catholic hospitals. It would be a shame to see some of the better maternity facilities in this town close, not to mention much needed emergency services. But he goes on to say; "We might get out of hospitals altogether!" So there. How very christian.

In fairness though, there is a reason...

He said the law would require Catholic doctors and nurses with a conscientious objection to abortion to break the law. "This poses a real threat to the continued existence of Catholic hospitals."

Would it really? I can't imagine that any penalty would constitute more than a fine. Oh yeah... That would cost wouldn't it. How very, very christian...

7 Comments:

Dikkii said...

I was a bit disgusted with their blackmail threat. Totally undignified. So I complained. It's up at both my blogs.

Sean Wright said...

I think its fine if a doctor has an objection to performing one. But he does not have a right to prevent the woman from having a choice.

Plonka said...

Dikkii:

Nicely done. As you pointed out in your post, the law only requires a referral from non-choice to pro-choice. It is disgusting in the extreme I think, especially for an organisation that calls itself christian.

Sean: Couldn't agree more. Apparently however, this would constitute "a co-operation in evil" that simply cannot be tolerated. What a crock!

Mikki said...

Ditto, I'm definitely disgusted and a woman should definitely have a choice. It's her body and she should be allowed to do what she wants with it no matter what the religion. I can't believe some of the crap they come out with.

Plonka: I'm new at this blogging and I wanted you to know that I'm glad I come across your blogs. Your articles have been enjoyable to read and kept me occupied whenever my little man eventually gets to sleep. Top stuff! I really don't know what is the go with blogging and don't want to step on anyone's toes. So if I have, sorry....

Plonka said...

Mikki:

My toes are fine and I'm glad you've enjoyed the read.

The go with blogging is that you write stuff. Sometimes people read it and comment, sometimes they don't. What's important is that there's been a contribution.

Thanks for an idea though, there may be a post in it...:)

Mikki said...

Plonka:

Glad your toes are fine I didn't want to get off on the wrong foot.
Plus you need them anyway because I have heard that without toes a person wouldn't be able to balance and fall forward... don't know if that is true though.

Thanks for an idea though, there may be a post in it

You don't have to thank me I'm just happy I was able to contribute something and give you a brain storm. I'm looking forward to read your new post, I have read the Egalitarian Spirit that many times I'm almost close to reciting it.

White Power Atheist said...

christians and Jews are terrible! It was the Jews that made this phony baloney religion!
And Those Fucking niggers, spics, chinks, ragheads, native Americans, and hindus are why we have religion today. Coloreds made religion. But we WHITES founded atheism

© Blogger Templates | Tech Blog